If you take just a few minutes at night to pack your lunch for the next day, your belly (and your wallet) will thank you.
Veggie Stack Pitas – What You’ll Need
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas or white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 to 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup grated manchego or pecorino romano cheese
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 ripe Hass avocado, pitted and sliced
- 1 small cucumber, sliced or 1/2 bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 10 to 12 whole-wheat pita minis (3 inches), lightly toasted
In a food processor, puree chickpeas, water, cheese, lemon juice, salt and red pepper flakes. Do this for about 5 minutes, or until the mixture is smooth. Next, add the olive oil (while the motor is still running) . Finish mixture by adding pepper to taste.
Add the spread to the pitas along with the avocado and cucumber slices. You can also add other seasonal vegetables, salt and pepper if you’d like to. Make sure to store your sandwiches in a plastic container so they don’t get smashed. Don’t forget your lunch box in the morning!
This recipe is brought to you by The Food Network.